Friday, March 19, 2010

Chicken Carne Asada Tacos

I made these for the first time last week.  The were phenomenal.  Josh professed his new found love for me when I made these.  I have to admit I loved them  just as much.  The kids loved the chicken.  Its our new taco night favorite.

They are not your typical Tex-Mex taco you find all over Texas.  These are more of a fresh, authentic Mexican taco.  They Are simple and delicious.  You have to try them. 

chicken tacos Chicken Carne Asada Tacos

Adapted from a recipe in Cooking Light

fresh orange juice (1 orange)

fresh lime juice (2 limes)

1 teaspoon sugar

1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced

1 package of boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 teaspoon ground cumin

3/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 teaspoon pepper

1 – 2 tablespoons oil

8 corn tortillas

1 cup diced peeled avocado

1/2 cup cotija cheese

lime wedges

Combine orange juice, lime juice and sugar in a medium bowl.  Set aside.

Thinly slice onion  add to small sauce pan and cover with water.  Bring onions to a boil.  Drain and plunge onion in ice water.  Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.

Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.  Let the pan get really hot then add the oil (just enough to coat the pan).  Cut breasts into strips.  Sprinkle with oregano, cumin, salt and pepper.  Toss to coat.  Place in hot cast iron skillet.  Cook about  4 –6 minutes until brown and done.

Crumble cheese, dice avocado, cut up lime into wedges.  Remove onions from refrigerator and drain.  Heat tortillas according to package directions.  I use my griddle because I can heat up 4 – 6 tortillas at a time.  Its makes perfectly hot tortillas (I set my to 400F).

To make a divine chicken soft taco, add chicken to tortilla, top with onion, avocado, cheese and a squeeze of lime juice. 

Serve with spicy black beans.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment